Tuesday, February 19, 2013

More about the college


Hey guys!
In this post I want to tell you about what caught my eye at Belfast Bible College and why
I chose it.
                How I found out about BBC is quite simple. I decided one day to search “Irish Bible Colleges” on google. The BBC’s website was the first one I came across (or at least the first one that made me take more than a glance at). I looked at it and a few days later I applied. On the surface it looks very spontaneous and maybe a little too quick to be making such a big decision on my part. However, I’m the type of person that likes to make plans and know all the details before I make a decision about something so before having even searched for an Irish Bible college I had been praying about finding a Bible college to go to and I had been getting advice from people.  At the same time, though, it was a very spontaneous thing for me to do.
I think I was able to act spontaneously like I did because in my mind I didn’t really consider that going to Ireland for bible school was a possibility. To some extent I did, I guess, because I actually applied, but I never thought I would get past the application process. Belfast Bible College seemed like my dream college, but like a dream, I figured I would just wake up and it would all disappear and I would go back to living in the real world.
                I say Belfast Bible College is my dream college because of where it’s located and what they have to offer. For the longest time I've always wanted to go to Ireland. I know someday that I will go there. Because it was a Bible college I knew that I had to be careful about what I chose. As much as I want to go to Ireland, if the Bible college doesn't seem right for me then I’m not going to go to it. But BBC definitely seems right for me!
                For instance, the classes that they offer are what I am looking for in a Bible college that I decide to go to. That is, foundational studies in the Christian faith. Some of the classes are Discipleship, Interpreting and Communicating the Bible, and The Biblical Story (as stated on their website:“The aim of this module is to introduce and overview the content, key themes, history and background of the Bible.”).  
Another thing I really like about their school is that I can be hands-on in my learning. Every week I’ll have the opportunity to be involved in different types of ministry (evangelism, youth ministry, etc.). I love this aspect because before finding out about Belfast Bible College I was torn between wanting to go to a Bible college or on a mission trip and I felt like if I chose one or the other I would be missing out on something. At BBC I’ll have the opportunity to learn and serve like I would on a mission trip.
In addition to the classes and weekly ministry opportunities, the community that is created at the college is great! They have small groups and prayer groups that meet regularly, there’s diversity in culture (students come from all over the world!), and because it’s a smaller school (around 200 students) there’s more interaction between the staff and students. All of these things I think will make up a great atmosphere for learning and spiritual growth for me.
                 I looked up Belfast Bible College on Google maps and it looks like is is located on the outskirts of Belfast surrounded by a golf course. Belfast is the capital and largest city in Northern Ireland, so it will be nice to be somewhat removed from the main urban area of Belfast.
(The country girl may leave the country, but she’s still a country girl at heart!)
Of course I plan on thoroughly exploring the city, but it will be nice to live in a quiet place.
                The campus consists of the Library, Computer Suite (where they have a Skype room so I can see and talk to people back home!), Worship Centre (where they have chapel once a week and where some of the classes are held), Glenborn House (staff offices and some classrooms), Kitchen and Dining Room, Riverside House (the student housing I’ll be staying in), and Wellesley House (another student housing).

Just writing about the college is making me more excited about it!
If you are interested in finding even more about the school you can check out their website.

With Christ's love,
Karey

No comments:

Post a Comment